How to get your shipping labels and attach them
Get an instant quote and book now
When you order with Parcel Monkey we send the shipping labels to your Parcel Monkey account so you simply just have to print them out and attach them to your box ready to send. You will also receive an email with a link to them if you do not locate them on your Parcel Monkey account. As we offer international delivery services, we also provide customs documents if they are required.
If a label does not appear on your account or is not sent through via email, then there could be an error. You may even get an email requesting the correct information in order for us to provide you with the shipping label.
If you do have any questions, just contact our dedicated support team via Live Chat or via your Parcel Monkey account and they can step in and fix the problem. Our packaging advice should be checked before you post a package too.
What do I need to do with the shipping labels?
Shipping labels are highly important to attach correctly as they contain all the vital delivery information. You can access them from your Parcel Monkey account and you will need to print them off and attach them to the outside of the package securely so that they do not come loose in transit. Make sure the barcoded labels are securely attached to the package and are clearly visible.
Make sure you take the following steps to label your package correctly as per the advice from global delivery experts DHL below.
- Positioning the barcode address label - Place the label on a flat area, preferably on the top surface of the parcel. This will help ensure the barcode, on the address label can be read the first time. All of the labels must be placed flat, i.e. without creases, on just one side of the package. It is advised labels are not positioned over the joins of a box or round corners.
- Shiny surfaces- Please place the address label on the top of any shrink wrap, and not underneath it. The same applies to Sellotape, cellophane and other similar shiny surfaces as these create a reflection that the scanners cannot always see through to read the barcode.
- To prevent confusion we recommend all old labels are removed - this can cause the courier's confusion. Dangerous goods labels left on boxes can mean goods are held or sent back. Old address labels or customs documents may mislead drivers or people handling the parcel.
- Your products will have a reduced risk of damage if you use suitable packaging. Fragile labels are no substitute for the correct packaging.
- Ensure that the shipping label address details cannot be smudged or liable to water damage. Write in permanent marker the shipping address in case the label comes off in transit or is damaged or consider printing a spare label and putting inside the package.
- Make a note of the tracking number on the label, it may come in useful should you have any problems with tracking.
Service-specific label information
Some courier services, such as EMS Parcel Post, may come with a label that has two barcodes or addresses on it. This is because one part will be the domestic movement to a sorting depot where your package will be sorted. It will then be shipped to the final destination using the other part of the label. You'll need to attach both parts of the label to your package.
For other courier services, such as International Pickup, you may get two separate labels. One of the labels will need to be attached as normal to the outside of the package and the other will have instructions to say it is an ‘archive document’ which is a customer copy of the label and it will also advise you in the text on the label that this is your copy and not to attach it. If you read the small print on the label it will be easy to work out if it does not have to be attached.
For all couriers - make sure the shipping company can read all the information on the labels and scan the barcodes and there will be no issue shipping your package.
Do you have a courier service where no printer is required?
Currently, we do not offer a delivery service that does not require a shipping label. You will need to print out the shipping labels at your home or address and attach it to the box.
We do offer Drop Off services as well, so again it is the simple process of printing out the shipping label, attaching to the box and then taking to a local drop off location. Shipping labels are required on all shipments, both international and domestic.
Printing and attaching Customs Documents
When shipping overseas it is often a requirement that customs documents are provided to the customs department at the border can see what is entering the country. Some locations are more strict than others when it comes to Customs, but it is important for a sender to always give a detailed description of your goods on your customs form.
Customs documents must be attached to the outside of the box in plastic wallet or envelope. If you do not have one of these attach the documents in an envelope marked 'Customs'. This then allows customs to check what is being sent without needing to open your box up.
Shipping a package from somewhere else
There are many reasons why you might be booking a courier to pick up from an alternative address, but won’t be there to attach the shipping labels to the package including; if you are arranging the collection of a winning eBay bid from the seller, you have left something behind at a hotel or you are making a booking for a friend or relative.
You might be worried about how to then get the shipping label attached to the package that is being shipped. It is no problem, simply email them the shipping label and any customs documents over and all they will need to do is print and attach the label plus any customs documents and hand it over to the collection driver.
Drop Off Service Labels
If you choose to book a Drop Off service you will need to print off the labels at home before you go to the Post Office or FedEx store. This way all the staff at the store need to do is scan in the item and keep it safe until the courier comes to pick up from them. You won't be able to drop off a package without the labels attached, and by booking online using the Parcel Monkey shipping calculator often the shipping price is cheaper than you would pay at the counter.
If you are unsure of how to send a package, check out this guide too.